Saturday, December 28, 2013

Week 11.. JAX Beaches



That one awkward week where Sister Chamberlain got a sinus infection.....
Hey ya'll!!! :)
Merry Christmas!!!!!! :) :)
I LOVE CHRISTMAS, IT IS THE BEST~!
So this past week has certainly been.... well... interesting.
Remember when I was complaining via email about my headaches?

Well. It turned out to be a SUPERGROSSSINUSINFECTIONTHATABOUTKILLEDME.
Okay. Maybe not, killllled me. But I felt like dying..
Wednesday I got a Priesthood blessing and the Relief Society president came over and she... as the young kids would say... Hooked me up with some drugs... yo...? haha. But really.
Have any of you heard of the nasaflo?? Neither had I. 0.o.
It's basically a teapot that you shove up your nose and have the fluid go in one nostril and out the other. It was probably one of thee most uncomfortable things I have ever done. Sister Joseph and I got a pretty good laugh out of it though! ;)
Annnnd the rest of the week I was bed-ridden! I couldn't stand up without falling over and it was all just very lovely. :) I am still alive though! So no worries!!! They put me on about 5 different types of drugs to kick it out of my system and I think it's working. :) YAY FOR NOT DYING.
That said, I had a lot of down time to ponder and study and what not sooo now I shall present you with my thoughts!!! Presenting...:
ALYSSASTHOUGHTSABOUTMISSIONARYWORKANDHOWITISTHEBEEEEEST
*clears throat*
There is something about this work that is so divine, so personal, so hard, and special that it required every single ounce of your emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual strength. Missionary work is.. Invigorating. Underneath all the technicalities, numbers, plans, goals, it is a work motivated by pure love. Love! That is all it is!! Do you want to be a missionary???? LOVE THE CRAP OUTTA PEOPLE!!! Some quite sacred happens between a missionary and an investigator. There is a special bond that I am convinced was formed before we came to this earth that we have with them. When teaching investigators the gospel of Jesus Christ I am filled with this inexplainable, unfathomable, unconditional love. I wish I could explain those tender, sacred feelings. How every single ounce of your soul aches for them to come unto Christ. This is best explained by the great missionaries in the book of Mormon!
The sons of Mosiah explain it as this "now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble." Why the great anguish that causes even these great missionaries to "quake" and "tremble". Alma explains it perfectly. "Behold oh lord, their souls are precious". Precious. What does precious mean? Holding great worth. Priceless. Something you don’t want to lose. Being a missionary you get a keen and very personal understanding of this. It makes it about a million times more personal when you come to the realization that the Lord is trusting you with these precious souls... your brothers and sisters.

I suppose that is why we have such a strong bond to our investigators. Because they are indeed our brothers and sisters and we did live with them before we came to this earth. So basically I’m handing out the universes biggest family reunion!! Im not talking about the awkward family reunions where you don’t know anybody and the food is weird and your aunt won’t stop smooshing your cheeks and calling you shmookums... I’m talking about the one where the family is laughing, talking, and enjoying each other’s company. It is filled with light and love. That’s the family reunion I’m talking about! I want them to remember who they are. Because who they are is "great in the sight of God". They are precious.
Now missionary work isn't all sadness and stress and shaking and trembling etc... There are moments of such pure bliss and joy that make all of the hard, lonely, frustrating, disappointing times completely worth it. There is a indescribable joy you get when someone accepts the gospel of Jesus Christ. Alma once again explains it perfectly when he says "and behold when I see many of my brethren truly penitent and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy... my soul is carried away even to the separation of it from the body, as it were so great is my joy. " I can definitely relate. When I see an investigator progressing I feel as if my soul would explode out of my body! I was filled with so much JOY. There is nothing more sweet and joyous than seeing the light of Christ enter into someone’s eyes. It is truly incredible. Every hard moment is all worth it because these precious sons and daughters of God gain hope that they are something so much more than what the world sees them as. And that is why missionary work is the best work. It is the Lords work. I would rather be nowhere else than here reminding people of whom they truly are... Precious.
I hope all of you remember who you are! This is the Lord's work. All of this is possible because of Him. I am so thankful for that knowledge. I love my Savior with all of my heart! I am so glad we get to celebrate his birth. :) I hope all of ya'll have a very blessed Christmas! I love you so much!!!! :)
Love, Sister Chamberlain :)

No comments:

Post a Comment